June 16, 2012

Father's Day

Father's Day is gonna be a tough day this year.  So ... In honor of Father's Day 2012, I am going to list some cool things about my dad.  They are in no particular order, and this list is not even close to complete.  I am sure my siblings could list just as many or more.
  1. Our relationship was very special. He allowed me to have an opinion and voice it.
  2. My dad was super funny.  Cheesy.  Goofy.
  3. He was far from perfect and never pretended to be perfect.  He made mistakes & lived & learned.
  4. My dad was really smart.  Really.  He was so good at math!
  5. My dad was fiercely loyal, and because of that could sometimes get his feelings hurt by people.
  6. He would have torn limb from limb anyone that hurt his grandchildren.
  7. My dad really loved his parents and his grandparents and his sisters.
  8. My dad made me drive a tractor, a lawn mower, and a pick up with a trailer behind.
  9. My dad took good care of our dogs ... especially when they got old and tired.
  10. My dad (and mom) let me ... no, made me quit my job my senior year of high school.  Said I had my whole life to work.
  11. My dad (and mom) did not buy me a "better" car just cuz I wanted one.
  12. My dad had very twinkly eyes and a great laugh and smile.
  13. My dad had the best metabolism, and stayed pretty thin except for a while after he quit smoking when I was 14.
  14. My dad (and mom) made me watch the State of the Union Address growing up ... among other political things.  I could disagree (I usually didn't), but I better know why and state my case.
  15. I know of a few times in his life that my dad cried ... when his parents died, when my mom was badly hurt, and a few times during his illness.  I love that I got to see that side of him, too.
  16. My dad LOVED to mess with me because I like a plan, and he was more go with the flow.
  17. My dad worked super hard his whole life, and I am very proud to be a working man's kid.
  18. My dad loved deviled ham sandwiches, crispy sugar cookies, good coffee, toast, cottage cheese, eclairs, and what do you call that fish junk on the salad bar ... just to name a few.
  19. In later years he considered shaving off his mustache, but I begged him not to.
  20. He and I both loved the song "Old Flames" by Dolly Parton and danced to it at my wedding.
  21. He had a bajillion funny sayings ... some not repeatable in "polite" company.
  22. He loved to pick asparagus out of ditches.
  23. When I was having a long labor with Nathan, my dad came into the room and just held my hand for awhile.  But not during the gross part ;)
  24. Due to something unavoidable with work, Dad took me 'n Ben home from the hospital on Tyler's behalf.  What a gift that was!  So special to see him pull up in the blue van to get us!!
  25. My dad kept such a strong faith during his illness.  What an example for me and my kids!
  26. My dad had my back, plain and simple.  He was my go-to guy, my friend, my dad, my buddy, my critic, my cheerleader.
I cannot express the grief I feel.  The last 8 weeks have not diminished it.  We live our lives, but the absence is BIG.  It is hard to wrap my mind around the absence in our lives.  But, I know what his expectation and wish for me would be - LIVE, be a good mom, wife, daughter and friend.  Have FUN.  Don't be so serious all the time.  Keep my FAITH.  Pray.  Work hard.  Take good care of Mom.  Love on my KIDS a lot. :)

Dad - You were a gift to me.  I miss you every single day, but I know that you are more alive than we are.  See you on the other side someday!!!  And, Happy Father's Day!!!  Love you lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment