March 17, 2012

Update

Time for an update. Dad is getting a lot weaker. Much of the use of his arms is gone.  Mom said he did not have a good night.  He is only able to lay in the bed a little bit. Even the most comfortable recliner would get old, but it's easier for him to breath with his knees up towards his chest in the recliner. Not eating much at all, but the lack of fluids is more of a concern. Yesterday he only had about 2 cups of liquid or so.

"Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes."  Gloria Naylor

We are not the only people in the world who are losing our dad.  I was reading about why it can be so painful.  One article said, "...part of your past, a part of yourself, a friend, a helper and a wise counselor."  Sometimes, we are going to get this wrong. We will overreact, throw fits, cry, laugh at inappropriate times (this seems to be me), be silent, talk too much, give too many details, give too few details, get snarky ...... but hopefully we are learning something too - and in the future we can help the people we care about as they lose a parent.  I am truly seeing that it is something you can't feel until you've felt it, you know!?

Thanks for all of the support.  When you visit, if you could keep your visits to 15 minutes or so.  Dad gets so exhausted and when he gets worn out he has even more trouble breathing.  Your continued thoughts, prayers, e-mails, etc. are greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Oh your statement of it being something you can't feel until you've felt it, so true!!! I can't think of a better way for it to be worded or explained. I lost my dad in a different way, very suddenly, thankful God doesn't let us choose.... I have kept in touch with your family through this blog and I feel all of your emotions and want you all to know you're in my thoughts and prayers for strength for ALL of you for everyday you deal with this and all the things involved. I too have tried to help those who have lost a parent as well, for it truly is something you can pay forward by understanding it better by having gone through it yourself, I think that is why I am drawn to keep up with your blogs. Thanks for keeping everyone informed and again a prayer that God will give you what you stand in need of!!! thinking of you all, Starla Scholten

    ReplyDelete