May 24, 2012

Memorial Day

Well, it's Memorial Day weekend already.  Lots of people heading out camping.  We used to camp with the horses (and get rained on) just about every year.  Good memories.
Mom, Nathan and I went to Norway Cemetery today to tend to the graves of my grandma & grandpa, my great-grandma and great-grandpa AND my great-great grandma & great-great grandpa.  It was something Dad took pride in doing every year, so it was nice to continue the tradition for him this year.  Gave us time to think about what a beautiful reunion it must have been in heaven.  We remember my dad though laughter, through tears.

It's hard to imagine, but just one year ago my dad and mom went to the cemetery together.  This year, he is gone.  What a difference a year can make.  One year ago this week we lost my grandma.  It was very painful (though I was thrilled for her) because she was so good to me and a very important person in our lives.  I loved her very, very much.  Shortly after Grandma died, my dad was diagnosed.

One year ago, in early June, I had a rummage sale at my house.  I knew something was very, very wrong when dad was unable to change a light bulb.  Just an ordinary light bulb in my garage.  He couldn't turn it.

We continue to figure out our new normal, and appreciate the prayers offered up on our behalf.  It is such a special thing to do for someone ... to lift them up to the Creator of the Universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment