August 12, 2012

Fighting ALS

Hi everyone -- If you're out there reading our blog THANK YOU!  It means so much to us that our family and friends and even friends we haven't met yet are sharing our journey.  If you are a fellow ALS family member or even someone with ALS and you want someone to talk to, I know that anyone in our family would be happy to get in touch with you.  ALS is a journey that you can't know until you know.  Like my sister said, "It's a special club that nobody wants to belong to."  But once you belong, that's that.  We can't change it, but we can FIGHT IT!

We are FIGHTING ALS in a few upcoming ways that I wanted to let you know about:

1)  Melissa is running in the ALS Superhero 5K/10K Dash in the Twin Cities on October 13th.

2)  Please join us for the Walk to Defeat ALS at the Empire Mall in Sioux Falls on October 20th.  You can find Team Sweet William at the ALS web site:  www.alsa.org.  We are looking for donations and fellow walkers.  I have set my personal goal of $1,000 this year.  I raised it last year and my dad was so proud of me ... he was telling everyone.  I would love to make him that proud again this year.  We had a team of about 35 last year and we were blown away.  Let's double it this year!!!!!  It's so important that you register if you're going to walk, so if you need help with that please let me know.  Let's go get ALS and make it feel as bad as we do.

3)  On that same day, October 20th, we are holding a gigantic, ginourmous, humongous rummage sale at the Local 426 Hall here in Sioux Falls.  ALL $$$ made will go to the ALS Association.  We are looking for any and all "rummageable" donations, so look through those closets.  We will take your clothes, household items, dishes, electronics, furniture, baby gear, etc.  All items that don't sell will be donated to the YMCA, Furniture Mission, etc. Also, if you know of good (cheap or FREE) ways to promote our rummage, please get a hold of me at tenhill@msn.com.  Be sure to reference ALS Walk/Rummage in the subject line in case I don't recognize your e-mail address.  We are also seeking folks to help us set up, run, and take down the rummage sale.

Dear Dad,

I hope we're making you proud.  I don't know what to do with my grief most days.  I haven't learned how to be without you yet.  The best I can do to combat grief is fight back against the disease that took you away.  Love you so much.

Erin

1 comment:

  1. This is all so exciting! I told your mom that I'm rounding up some donations here in Madison to bring down for you guys!

    ReplyDelete