February 15, 2012

O2

Hi everyone!  There have been so many views of our blog.  Thank you for following our story!  Time for another update.

Dad now has oxygen to use in conjunction with his bipap.  I had no idea that there was so much hassle getting Medicare to pay for oxygen.  I mean, it's oxygen.  Some would call it a must.

A few posts ago I talked about a clinic where Dad sees multiple people (OT, PT, etc.).  His doctor decided that they will not have him come to those anymore because it's too hard on him.  Instead, he will see just his neurologist as needed.  However ... we also learned that next week we have the first appointment with the Palliative Care clinic to work on comfort measures.  I do not know what that will involve, but the physician we will see is a Pulmonologist with ALS experience who assists patients through issues involving a terminal illness.

Lynette and I are getting our FMLA in place.  We do not know what the immediate future holds, but it will be good to be protected at work.  We want to be there for my Dad as much as possible.

I stopped by after work today with the kids and their good friends, Rhonda and Gary, were there to visit.  Noelle brought over cupcakes yesterday.  My husband fixed Dad's new table today.  We are
thankful for everyone's love and friendship.

2 comments:

  1. I loved when Palliative care got involved! They worked so hard at just making sure that everything is as comfortable and smooth as possible. They brought me as a caretaker a lot of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates on your family's journey with ALS. I check your blog often and keep you ALL in my prayers!!! Glad to hear you plan on spending as much time as possible together as the memories will be special to you for a lifetime!! And when you think your strength has run out, God will give you more!!! take care everyone

    Starla Scholten

    ReplyDelete