February 26, 2012

     It's been a fairly peaceful weekend.  The morphine definitely seems to help with Dad's comfort with his breathing.  He is at a low dose, and is not using it nearly as often as he could. It seems to help him at night, and he is getting some sleep. We are all thankful for that.  I can't imagine how long his nights must seem when he is short of breath and has the time with his thoughts. 
     Mom and Dad were able to get out to an anniversary celebration for some close friends, and enjoyed that. 
     His arms are less cooperative this weekend, and he is tired, and just not hungry.  We did all hang out and watch a movie this afternoon, which was nice. The movie was called the Silver Stallion, which was actually a palomino.  Duh. We chuckled about that a little bit.
     A plumbing disaster was averted thanks to my uncle Dave.  This too was one of those things that Dad just always did.  I don't ever remember my parents ever calling a plumber, or appliance repairman, etc.  Dad just normally fixed that type of stuff, and it was hard for him to not be able to just fix it this time  The poor guy tried talking Mom and I through it, then Leland and Jordan.  We couldn't get the plug figured out.  It was like a team of Tim the Toolman's.  Thank goodness Dave bailed us out. 
     We are just day by day working through this.  I hate, hate, hate this disease and what it's doing to Dad physically, what it's taken from him.  Yet he doesn't complain.  He's just cowboy'd up and deals with it.  Not complaining, head held high, and trying to help us. 
     And here I am, 48 years old with grown kids of my own, and normally a fairly strong woman.  But this disease and the thought of losing my dad is pretty much kicking my butt.
     But, we are blessed with eachother and with great friends.  Walking in to the anniversary party for the Blomgrens this weekend was like a taste of home.  Visits and phone calls have kept coming.  And the Lennox 4th grade BB moms loaded us up with casseroles, soups and other goodies tonight.  The freezer is full, which will be awfully nice in the days ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I {heart} morphine and how it helps people with ALS! It helped my Mom so much.

    I know how you feel...wish I could do something to take your burden for now. Its funny how even as adults it takes the carpet out from under us to lose a parent.

    Hugs to your whole family!

    ReplyDelete